Spiritual
living
We believe that the Church has an identity that can be found in the New Testament and that God’s children should worship God in spirit and in truth (John 4:23), believing and observing the doctrine and commandments of Jesus Christ. This will bring a peace that passeth all understanding (Philippians 4:7) and joy unspeakable and full of glory (1st Peter 1:8) to the child of God who walks in the ways of God.
About Rocky Creek Primitive Baptist Church's Beginning
"Where our Journey Begins"
PRIMITIVE BAPTIST CHURCHES IN WORTH COUNTY, GEORGIA
The first churches of this section of the state were Primitive Baptist. Old China Grove Church, Mt. Pisgah, Rocky Creek, Zion Hope and Providence are the old line Primitive Baptists.
Mt. Pisgah was probably organized before, but the last constitution was in 1858. Providence was organized in 1860. Old China Grove Church house is still used by the negro Primitive Baptists. The white membership moved and built the Mountain Spring Church near Mrs. Liza Dunn's place. This building is still standing, but not in use. The Primitive Baptist Church is Epheses Church in the Stewart settlement north of Sumner.
MT. PISGAH
Some of those in the constitution were George Truluck, James R. Land, Rebecca Land, (daughter of George Truluck), and Mr. and Mrs. King Chestnutt. The membership now is eighty-three. Twenty-six of these were baptized in 1932. Elder S. W. Cox of Worth County is the present pastor.
ROCKY CREEK
Rocky Creek Primitive Baptist was constituted in 1894, December 16. The church is a member of The Primitive Baptist Churches of Deep South Georgia.
PROVIDENCE CHURCH
Providence Church is one of the Old Line Primitive churches. It was constituted on August 20, 1860, at a large spring under some large hickory trees near a school house. For a while this school house was used for worship. Those who were in the constitution were Samuel Castleberry, Pearson Brown, James Giddens, John Williams,sisters; Elizabeth Pearson and Mary Williams, with Elders Henry C. Tucker and Warren Dykes as Presbytery. On September 7, 1860, Elder Warren Dykes was called to serve the church. June 9, 1862, Elder P. G. Everitt was called to serve the church. The following pastors served through the years: Elder W. W. Woodall was called February 8, 1868. Elder W. E. Pittman was called March 14, 1874. Elder W. P. Hall was called September 25, 1909. Elder L. E. Pierce was called October 14, 1911. Elder W. M. Holcomb was called September 19, 1918. Elder L. E. Pierce was called September 15, 1923. Elder T. A. Bozeman was called August 14, 1926. Some of the old people buried in the church yard are Mrs. Nancy Giddens, Mrs. Green Ford, Mr. Jesse Turner. Some of the old settlers were Aultman, Sikes, Dykes, McDonald, Gay, Powell, Houston and Sumner families. This is the burying ground for many of these families.
THE CHURCH OF EPHESES
The Church of Epheses is a Progressive Primitive Baptist Church, built about four miles north of Sumner in November 1902, with eight members constituting it. It is in what is known as the Stewart settlement. The following ministers have served this church: Elders J. T. Gardner, Isaac P. Porter, T. J. Head, R. H. Jennings and G. D. Todd. The deacons have been as follows: C. A. Thompson, Peter Stewart, Kenneth Stewart, Murray Gardner, H. Bartly Stewart and Kenneth R. Stewart. The present membership numbers seventy-three. The Church was built by John Farmer and John Ward.
AT OLD CHINA GROVE
By John L. Herring
"Hark! from the tombs a doleful sound; Mine ears attend the cry."
The preacher closed his Bible, picked up his hymn-book and lined out the first of the old, familiar song. The congregation rose. An elder, an aged patriarch, raised the tune; one by one the men joined in. From across the aisles a female voice took up the air; gradually the song grew in volume, until
"Ye living men, come view the ground Where you must shortly lie."
rolled out in a wave of song from the log church, through the oaks surrounding, across pine and wiregrass covered hill and vale. The church stood on the crest of a hill, commanding a view of the beautiful, almost primeval, country surrounding. To the east meandered a small stream towards the Gulf; its waters alive with fish; along its borders one of the finest deer ranges this country knew; the stream taking its name from the memory of an Indian warrior killed on it banks. Surrounding the church was a grove of oaks, and around this, miles of unbroken forest. The church had been built of pine logs, cut to make room for the building, peeled of their bark, notched and set into place by hands ready in the service of the Lord. The roof was of shingles split from pine block and drawn, one at a time, by hand with a drawing knife. Even the pulpit, framed of small hewn logs, was built of boards split with a frow from the pine. The benches were of logs, split and hewn, and fitted with legs driven into auger-holes. It did not require money to build a church in those days, but a vast amount of labor. Material was free and the work was by many ready hands, so after all the task was not so great. The result was as substantial and time-defying as the sturdy yeomanry and their religion.
"Hardshells" we called them -- Primitive Baptists now, but the name represented that which was solid and lasting; rugged perhaps but true as tried steel, a religion which noble men lived by and died by. The song they were singing was like them -- nothing frivolous, nothing temporary, but solemn and earnest; bringing thoughts of God, also of the certainty of death and vastness of eternity. There were few revivals then; none among these people; the evangelist was unknown. But there was a staying quality about their religion that inspired one with the confidence that the mariner must feel in the Rock of Ages. The ordinance of baptism had been administered that morning. The convert was a young matron, and she gave her hand to the preacher and her life to God amidst a solemn stillness that impressed and glorified.
She was baptized where the road (a three-path trail) crossed the stream. Her head bowed in humility, but fearlessly, she had walked through the water until she had reached the preacher's hand and the sacred pledge of faith was taken. Loving hands had built of poles and sheets a dressing-room, and after her clothing was changed the crown climbed the hill to the church, which was filled. (This young matron was Mrs. Joseph L. Sumner, nee Josephine Thornhill). Then to the new member was extended the right hand of fellowship, and to the outsiders the event of the day was at hand. On two opposite benches the male members faced. Across the house, on two more benches also opposite, the female members grouped. It was the observance of foot-washing, the sacred custom peculiar to that church; a testimonial of their humility, even as their Master was humble. Then the sermon came.
The preacher had a wonderful gift. He was a man who worked for six days of the week on his farm, but he had time for meditation, and on the Sabbath it was good to hear him. His sermon stirred the great crown, and the moment was a tense one when the solemn hymn was raised. There were few tears, but many faces were drawn with emotion. It was a red-letter day with a people who were as the salt of the earth. In the congregation were many of the men who built South Georgia.
Church Physical Location: 690 Rocky Creek Church Road; Omega, Georgia 31775 (No mail reciprocal)
Church mailing address: Rocky Creek Primitive Baptist Church; 2367 Sugar Hill Road; Lenox, GA 31637